Problem Definition & Assumptions
I assume the target users for SF Muni terminal are the general public, which typically include two groups:
- Local residents in Bay Area
- Tourists from all over the world
User Needs / Product Values
- Buy tickets (single/round trip)
- Buy Clipper card
- Refill and add value to a ticket or a Clipper card
- View Balance
- View Muni map and search a station
- View next train station status
- Modern payment technology with mobile devices (Apple Pay, Android Pay, PayPal etc)
- Ticket kiosk station hardware remains the same (touch screen, card lot, kiosk size, screen size, kiosk location)
- User context is at the SF Bart station platform
- For local residents, the primary user goal is to buy/refill tickets quickly and catch up with the upcoming trains. For tourists, the primary user goal is to have a clear and intuitive workflow to buy/refill tickets.
Refine & Design Detailed Wireframes
Ideal WOrkflow: Buy Tickets
MVP Workflow: Buy Tickets
The MVP workflow here only provides the core functionalities for the buy tickets use case by removing a few nice-to-have features, such as the language selection, select station in map & list, multiple payment methods and showing next train status.
If this is a real project and we have a cross-functional team and release deadline, I would figure out some open questions in my design proposals and feature priorities based on a few criteria below:
- Who is our primary target users, local residents or tourists?
- How frequent is a feature being used by our target users?
- How important is a feature to our target users? Can they find another alternative to meet their needs?
- How many engineering resources would it require for a feature?
- Can we leverage the work on this feature and apply it to other similar problems?
If we go beyond the design challenge assumptions, we can have a few out-of-box solutions for this redesign:
- Provide a mobile app to enable users buy/refill tickets from mobile phone and scan mobile tickets to take BART; (There will be no need for paper BART tickets and reduces the usage for the kiosk hardware)
- Can users buy tickets from any station, not limited to the current station?